Home

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Viewer Discretion is Advised

It's a Tuesday night.  We're entering my favorite time of day:  the after bath slow down.  The dirty boy smell has been washed down the drain.  Pajamas are on and little feet are barreling down the stairs to make their way around the table for the promised hot chocolate that awaits them. 

My recipe for hot chocolate involves 2 times the amount of sugar called for in the recipe and 1/2 bag of marshmallows.  It tastes like this:





And it usually results in the children looking like this:




Now, since the children are occupied for close to 45 seconds The Honey and I take the opportunity to have 'a moment.'  If you have children I will try to reacquaint you to what 'a moment' is.  It's that impromptu opportunity when Your Honey hugs you tight and you make eye contact.  There MIGHT even be a kiss involved.  (OK, I promise that is as dirty as this post gets).

So we're having our 'moment.'  Little Middle begins to announce:

"Oh no, Mom and Dad are putting on a show!"  

A SHOW!  That cracks me up.

Well, of course his proclamation draws the attention of the other Yahoos.  They begin their loud groans and covering of the eyes. 

This brings delight to me and The Honey.  We purposely make 'the moment' last longer just to irritate them (even though we both know that we've had about enough of each other). 

I take note of each of the Yahoos' faces, praying God will seer these images of delight into my brain for when the Alzheimer's kicks in.

When it is Baby Yahoo's turn to be gazed upon I see him, no lie, sticking his finger down his throat.  Now I know this was just coincidental, but still.  It made for a pretty hilarious coincidence. 

Ninja Yahoo, always needing to be the center of attention, decides to yell out that they are watching an R rated movie.

Again, I am tickled.

Then Ninja Yahoo asked the question that is sure to come back to haunt me

'Are there movies worse than R movies?' 

And without hesitation, because I am an idiot, I tell him

'Sure.  There are X-rated movies.' 

To which he begins to sing loudly

'Mom and Dad are making an X-rated movie!'

Gulp.

I see that my joking around has gone too far.  Now I am going to either:  A.  Explain to Ninja Yahoo and all my other innocent Yahoos what X-rated means so that they won't be blurting that out in public or B.  suffer the horrific looks and gasps from people when all the Yahoos proclaim in public

'Mom and Dad put on an X-rated show in the kitchen!'


So on this one I think I will swallow my pride and take one for the team.  Plan B it is.
 
And isn't that the case for most of us as parents?  To truly love our kids (and anyone for that matter)  we have to make ourselves of no reputation.  All of those best laid pre-baby plans of how we are going to raise our kids and look like rock star parents must be thrown out the window.  Instead, when we walk out of the delivery room we have to wrap that towel around our waist and take on the new name of Servant Leader.  Choosing to love without regard to what our friends, or the preacher, or the neighbor, or the dog will think.

That is so hard at times.

But no worries.  Because thankfully all we have Jesus, the ultimate example in Servant-Leader.

In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:
 Who, being in very nature God,
   did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;
 rather, he made himself nothing
   by taking the very nature of a servant,
   being made in human likeness.
 And being found in appearance as a man,
   he humbled himself
   by becoming obedient to death—
      even death on a cross!
 Philippians 2:5-8

So go on now.  Get off the computer, go find your Honey and have a moment....right in front of the Yahoos!

3 comments:

  1. Awwww, once again you did not disappoint. So good!! Now I must go and find my own honey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This may be my favorite post yet. Such a cute story!
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now you will e known as the X rated parents love it

    ReplyDelete