Home

Sunday, December 25, 2011

I'm Haunted By The Ghosts of Christmases Past

In previous years I have given a lot of  lip service to teaching and appreciating the true meaning of Christmas.  But if I was really honest with myself and you I'd have to say it was all an act.  I allowed myself to be distracted by gifts, playing hostess, getting from here to there, costumes for the play, yada yada yada.  I have felt for years that Satan's prominent tactic for Christians is to keep us distracted from truly listening to God's leading and direction for our lives.  We rationalize and say that we do 'good' things and say 'good' things to people and lead 'good' lives but (as the BFF says)  good is the enemy of the best. I know Voltaire said it the other way, but I don't believe good enough is good enough for God.  I really believe he wants nothing less than the best for his children.


After this, the word of the LORD came to Abram in a vision: "Do not be afraid, Abram. I am your shield, your very great reward."
Gen 15:1


He rewards us with the best.  He rewards us with Himself.

Everything I was doing as part of our Christmas traditions was meaningless. Though we read the Christmas story I think we might have just been going through the motions.  I would pray that the Yahoos would get it.  That they would not be so worried about the gifts and stop fighting over the new toys.   But I was enabling their belief system that this day was all about them by stressing out over the line at Walmart and yelling at them if they interrupted my online shopping trip.


I'm thankful that this year the Lord, in his graciousness, brought some new traditions in our home that have helped me to make this Christmas full of meaning and truth and less about stuff and busyness and me.

I mentioned a few posts ago that we were doing the Jesse Tree Advent devotional.  This alone has helped get my heart prepared.  To learn of God's story of grace and love that was being prepared for us has been a beautiful thing.  Just like a parent who works and plans and makes preparations for a wonderful gift for their child, our Heavenly Father patiently prepared for the coming of the Greatest Gift.

The other night we were fortunate enough to go spend some time with some of our greatest friends to watch The Nativity.  I think they do a great job capturing the hearts of the people involved.  But something else struck me as I watched it.

God completely humiliated Mary and Joseph.

They were certainly the talk of Nazareth.  How she must have been a slut.  He must have been a fool. 

But they made themselves of no reputation...

And Mary said, “Behold, I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word.”
Luke 1:38

I mean this chic knew who she was.  She didn't pretend for a minute that her convenience was more important than God's deliverance.  I don't believe I would be so obedient.  That my heart would be so submissive to God's dealings with me that whatever He chose to do in and through me would be not only accepted but welcomed!  I'm truly in awe of Mary's belief and her understanding that the story God has written and continues to write is more than about her.  More than about me.

And it made me start thinking....

How willing am I to make myself of no reputation for Christ?  How obedient will I be?  How far will I go?

In our culture we are so comfortable with our smartphones and flat screens that breaking out of that shell into the realm of being uncomfortable and humbled is a bit repulsive to us.  I tend to hide my eyes from the ugly circumstances God asks me to enter into and the ugly people He asks me to build relationships with.  But this Christmas I can feel Him...I can hear Him saying 'Will you make yourself of no reputation for me.....like I did for you?'

He became nothing for me and entered into nothingness to ransom me.  And while my heart was cold and hard and before I even recognized my need for Him He chose to wrap himself in helpless flesh and live the life I could never live on my own to save me for a world I was made for.

How far will I go to show my gratefulness?  Will I befriend the town drunk?  Give up my family vacation to pay for another struggling family's rent?  What if He asked me to get up at 5:00 am everyday just to spend time with Him.  Or what if He wanted me to move?  Adopt?  Homeschool?

Will I become a peculiar people for His namesake?


I don't have any answers to these questions.  I don't have full confidence that I would answer yes to them.  I'm pretty fond of my comfy life.  But I have this desire way down deep that really wants to say to whatever God places on me:

Behold, I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word.

No comments:

Post a Comment