Home

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

I Had This Great Idea While I Was Hiding In The Pantry

It was 2:00 pm.   I had just about reached my limit and was finding a new place to hide so the children couldn't find me.

The pantry.  Mr. Reliable.
 
And what do you know, I found myself in there with a spoon, an open jar of peanut butter and some chocolate chips.  Hello?  What is a mom of 4 Yahoos to do?  Uh-huh, you know.  The details of what transpired over the next 5 minutes or so are a bit too humiliating graphic.  But needless to say I was a little less edgy by the time I walked out of there.




As I tried to drown out the sounds of the chaos that ensued outside that thin door, my mind begin to wander.  And do you know what I started thinking about?


You.

That's right.  I have been doing this blog thing for a good month now and I am not getting nearly the comments that I had hoped for.  

I'm going to be vulnerable here.  I am a wee bit needy in the affirmation department.   When I get no feedback on something I've done I start making assumptions.  'You're an idiot' or 'What a moron' are frequent conversations I have with myself. 

Honestly, though, I AM very interested in your thoughts on my thoughts.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for you guys to pander to me.  I don't want you to tell me how great everything I say is, especially when I am completely wrong about something.  Those are tricks I use on The Honey.  No, I just want honest feedback.  A general back and forth adult conversation between me and you.

So to get the ball rolling, I'm going to dangle this carrot.  Well, more accurately, I will be dangling some peanut butter.

'Peanut butter?'  you say.  That's right.  See, while I was in the pantry gorging  thinking I rehashed a conversation or two I have had with people about peanut butter.  Apparently people's opinion on which brand of PB is the best is a hot topic .  And most people I talk to have their minds completely made up.




So, I'm asking you....Which brand of PB does your family prefer.  Jif? Peter Pan? Great Value? 

And here's the treat.  Leave a comment giving me your vote (and, if your feeling fancy a quick story of creative lunches you've fed your young'ens----just for my amusement).  Then at the end of the contest a random entry will be chosen.  This will involve a hat, small slips of paper, and one of my illiterate children.  The lucky winner will receive 2 (unopened) jars of their favorite PB and a recipe to one killer peanut butter pie. 

Alright people.  You have 24 hours.  Good luck!

16 comments:

  1. Reese's Peanut Butter, of course, which (to my knowledge) can only be found at the Wal-Mart in Williamsburg. It definitely does not exist in Greensboro. In the boys' lunchboxes for tomorrow: Fluffy Chip Roll-Ups (whole wheat tortillas spread with marshmallow fluff and dairy-free chocolate chips...nut-free school...but, before that automatically disqualifies me from winning this contest, I will remind you that I have a pantry and a spoon and a grown-up need for the kind of boost only PB can provide), Apple Smashies, Snap Pea Crisps, and Pretzel Rods.
    (Also...I've been really enjoying your blog). <3
    (Also...I'm logged in but it keeps showing me as Unknown. I'm going to count on you having only one friend in Greensboro).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Bridge, you know my opinion....JIF all the way!! By the way, I would prefer the peanut butter pie pre-made. I enjoy all of your blogs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I have no creative recipes to share...I can only say that PB is a staple in our home and as long as there is some in the pantry, there is food in the house! Being as how we have a college student and a bottomless pit of a teenager in the house we buy the least expensive Great Value.

    As for the blog, I read it each and everytime your FB says it has been updated. Usually I cry because your thoughts are so hilarious, so personal, or so inspiring. Always, I wish I had the way with words that you do...your writing is so entertaining! Usually I'm a bit jealous that your wisdom and insight seem to come so easily....but then I realize I'm incredibly lucky to be able to draw from that wisdom and insight so often. So, dear sister, keep writing....your blog reminds me to relax and laugh a little, focus in and reflect a little, and open up and appreciate a little. I love you little sister!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so cheap, I just get whatever is on sale! Mostly Kroger when they have that awesome 10 for $10 sale!!! :)

    I'm glad I'm not the only momma that hides or makes her kiddies go to their rooms so I can cram my mouth full of chocolate!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I honestly prefer Great Value over all the rest!! Of course you know I LOVE your blog! As the first commenter ever and the most frequent one I think you need to make sure that Reading Yahoo picks my name! Ha ha!! As far as creative lunches, you know I'm not very creative. I do however have the most amazing peanut butter chocolate chip cheeseball recipe. It's so YUMMY!!! BTW I agree with the friend who says you should pre-make that pie, or at least include some chocolate chips!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This cracks me up. I had to tear into some chocolate chips myself today
    Natural Jif is what i like.
    Sorry I haven't read any of your blogs until now.
    I think you are a great mom and it shows through your 4 sweet children.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Bridgett, it's almost 12 o'clock and I'm craving peanut butter on apple slices! I think it is really good for lunch or a snack! I haven't been reading your blog but I will from now on! By the way, we eat JIF reduced fat. May not be the best but Anna likes Mamaw's PB. My favorite peanut butter pie recipe is one I found in the trash pile in Tuscalousa on our mission trip last July. Sentimental I guess. I can't say enough about your kids. I love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michelle Hixson FloydDecember 1, 2011 at 4:19 AM

    Hi. I have just been reading this a couple of days and I love it. Always said I could write a book...a comedy of course. I often find sticking graham cracker pie in the jar makes u feel really rebellious. Also will admit to stealing a few Halloween chocolate bars from Tara n Trent and dipping them in a jar. Someday u just gotta have it right out of the jar without a utensil. Billy insist on Jif but I buy a generic and use it also when he isn't looking.
    Michelle Floyd

    ReplyDelete
  9. My favorite lunch was with a little boy. I called him in to eat, go wash your hands and he did. I put lunch on the table (chicken noodle soup). I sat down to eat with the kids right beside the bowl of soup sat a bowl of worms. I chose something different for lunch that day.Karen Clarkson love you, your post, and your family. Jif

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Bridge! It's Therese (Stolarski) Grieco. It seems like JIF has gotten quite a few comments. I used to be a JIF lover; however, I was converted a few years ago by a friend of mine. My husband and I now use SKIPPY Natural (Creamy) quite regularly... In fact, we had four full jars of it in our pantry at the beginning of last week! You do not have to stir it or refrigerate it AND it only has a few ingredients (roasted peanuts, sugar, palm oil, and salt) as opposed to other peanut butter that has a TON of ingredients (and usually something partially hydrogentated). Moreover, SKIPPY Natural (Creamy) tastes great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Peanut butter is a staple in our house - but we aren't committed to one brand. It is normally what is the least expensive at the particular store we happen to be at when we run out of peanut butter.

    However, at Christmas when it comes time to make Buckeyes...I always "splurge" and get JIF. I hear that prices are going to continue to rise on peanut butter -- maybe I'll have to rethink that this year.

    As for your blogs....I am a closeted wanna be blogger. I have a handful of blogs that I like to read and always think that I should do this. I think it would be a fun record of my life to put out there and look back on but I don't take the time and I certainly don't think that anyone would find interest in it. You have a fantastic way with words - so keep on. You have a silent audience of followers :)

    Holly (Croft) Reece

    ReplyDelete
  12. We eat peanut butter in any form...crunchy, creamy, name brand, generic, in a boat, on a goat...you get the point. We like to spread it onto whole wheat tortillas and then roll a banana up in it for a PB banana roll! And FYI...I have pantry envy...nowhere here to hide but the bathroom, and I sure don't want to eat in there. My youngest occasionally enjoys a bowl of cereal while on the throne. Yep, caught in the act! I think I will pass on that!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have read every post and am really enjoying your blog. Keep posting please. :) We are a family divided. I prefer Smart Balance Creamy and the husband is loyal to Jif. Give me a few years and I'll have some good lunch stories for you!

    Love you,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  14. We love Smucker's Natural Peanut Butter. The only thing I don't like about it is that it has to be stirred, so I make my David do it. :) It's now the only kind that Sam, my incredibly picky eater, will eat. David grew up eating Peter Pan pb, and now he can't eat it because he's so used to the natural, grainy stuff. Myself? I grew up noshing on Jif, and it's still the best in my opinion, even though it's isn't the greatest on the ol' hips.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I almost forgot to post my fav recipe! Right now, it consists of a spoon, and pb. That's as creative as I've been this week after eating so much for Thanksgiving and gaining back 2 of the 10 lbs I'd dropped before Thanksgiving. Bear, our Shih Tzu, has a fav recipe though...2 ingredients: his chew toy covered in peanut butter! Bear can lick for an hour and get so messy and completely in utter heaven when he gets his favorite treat!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Today was one of those days when I wished I had a pantry to hide in...I'd be there right now...

    ReplyDelete