Home

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Chosing Joy

Today is November 19.  An average day to most, but a very special day to me.  Today is my beloved Pawpaw's birthday.  He would have been 86.
Nov 19, 2010


He was the most remarkable man.  He really was.  I know many of us have a 'remarkable man' in our lives.  But there was something unbelievably  remarkable about him. Maybe it was his humility...or faithfulness...or love...or courage... or mercy.  No I think it was his joy.  No, wait, it must have been his burden to see those he cared about come to know the Lord.

OK, obviously the list could go on and on and obviously the reason he was so unbelievably remarkable is that he possessed all these qualities.  I see that a lot in those from previous generations.

These men and women of The Greatest Generation.

They rise above.

I have to confess most days I don't feel much like rising above my burdens and obstacles.  Most days I feel weak, helpless, hopeless.

But on this day, this very difficult day, I am going to chose joy.  Joy in that I got to know this man.  And not just know him.  But known by him.  And that he and his Sweetheart left a legacy of love for me and my family to follow in.

So here we are.  The first of many birthdays that we will have to celebrate without him.  My heart is tender.  But I chose to give as much thanks as this tender heart can for the time I had with him.

And now I believe I will go make a cake.  I believe chocolate was his favorite.   And I might just chase it with a caffeine free Mountain Dew.

No comments:

Post a Comment