Home

Thursday, December 5, 2013

That Moment You Show Up In Nothing But Your Underwear

So nothing says 'Ho, Ho, Ho!  Merry Christmas'  like a quick trip to the big city with six kids to see a Christmas play and then walking out to find your van has a flat tire.  Right at lunch time.  Did I mention six kids?

But let me just say this.  Things could have been worse.  Because I had these two AMAZING friends who volunteered to take said six kids to the park for lunch and to play while I got my tire fixed.

And then, there was the God moment.

Sometime God graces us with beauty that leaves us speechless, or with love so deep and rich it brings us to tears.  And then there are times he graces us with 3 construction workers.

There I stand with the flat tire and rumbling stomachs and all these Yahoos asking 'What are we going to do?'  'Is Dad going to be mad?'  'When are we going to eat?'  When these three wonderful men saw us and obviously felt pity for this poor unfortunate soul of a woman.  They come straight over and offer to change the tire.

Hallelujah and Amen.

I frantically get the jack and tools they'll need and act like I know what I'm doing.  Then I tell them where the spare is at. And how do you get to that?  Well you have to take out the middle passenger seat.

And there it is.  That moment.  You know the one.  Like in your dream where you show up to preach the sermon in nothing but your underwear.  Well, strangers and friends seeing the nooks and crannies of my 8 year old, child-infested, moldy french fry laden van is my underwear moment.  I shudder just thinking of it.  I  made excuses.  I apologized.  I threw up a little.  But these people.  These people were fantastic.  They were dads and moms too.  They showed kindness and grace.

This is probably not an accurate depiction of my van.  But it does help with affect.  


And within a few minutes my spare was on.  All I had to offer these guys were some chocolate chip cookies I had made for me the kids after lunch.  I mean, I'm not gonna lie.  They were good.  Toll House knows their cookie business.  But really?  Cookies in exchange for saving me 3 hours of work and all the sanity left in this wearied body?  Pitiful.

Two of the three saints from yesterday.  The other one you might be able to see wedged underneath the van getting the %@&#$ spare tire out.  It was hard.  So they said.  


So I took advantage of that humiliating teachable moment to clean out my van this morning.

And as I was cleaning I started thinking.

These people with me yesterday showed me so much grace and kindness.  No shame, no blame.  Just love. And that sweet act led my heart to give thanks and to clean out my van.  Without shame.  Without begrudging it.  Joyfully.

And so it is with God working in my life.  God graces and loves me.  He shows up in my humiliating underwear moments.   As he showers me with kindness, the spiritual mold on my heart shows up.   I apologize.  I make excuses.  But his kindness leads me to repentance.    He makes me want to dig down deep and clean out the nooks and crannies of my heart.

Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, forbearance and patience, not realizing that God's kindness is intended to lead you to repentance?
Romans 2:4  



So a big shout out to the construction workers on the top level of the Victorian Square Parking Garage.   And also to the 7 cars behind me as I left the parking garage and couldn't find my wallet in all the chaos that was my minivan so I had to get out and walk back to my friend who graciously let me use her credit card to get out of that place.  And to the guy that completely had the right of way at the light, but because it took me 27 minutes to get through the intersection with my spare tire on I might have cut off a little.  My apologies to you all.  It was an underwear moment kind of day.


1 comment:

  1. I cannot tell you how much I love your blog, girl. Thanks for sharing your underwear moments!

    ReplyDelete