Home

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Caught Not Taught

Let's just be real for a second.

This most magical time of year for the entire rest of the family is more like mandatory overtime for the mothers of young children.

The cooking and cleaning and surprise making.  The wrapping  and shopping and budget keeping.  It's a lot to juggle.

In the middle of it all, we are trying to show our kids that it's more than just the gifts.  And at the end of our well crafted, 20 minute, Holy Spirit,guilt-ridden lecture on how they should think about others and pray for those that are hurting and come to the aid of those in need they ask why they can't have an ipod for Christmas again this year.

Sigh.

It leaves me feeling a little deflated.  A little disappointed.  A little hopeless.

This time of year I get the deadly combination of lofty expectations and shortsightedness.  I want so much for my kids to 'get it' and to have a servant's heart.  I want them to start thinking less often of themselves.  I want them to move beyond the presents into His Presence.

But I forget they are 10..and 9...and 7....and 4.  And that slow and steady wins the race.  And that these valuable lessons are learned not through the lecture but by the lens of their own eyes.  Not only to pray for the poor, but to go out and actually meet some poor people.  Instead of remembering the hungry, to prepare some food for them.  To put some feet on this gospel-driven, life-changing love we have been shown.   Our spiritual heart is a kinesthetic learner.

And I am reminded that is what Christ's birth was for me.  Love came down.  He didn't just think about me.  He came to me....the poor, the hungry, the needy.  He didn't lecture me.  He wrapped himself in humanity for me.  To show me what His marvelous love was all about.

For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve others and to give his life as a ransom for many.
Matthew 20:28

So moms, might I encourage you to breathe this week?  To take in His great grace.  To leave the lectures for the professors and roll up our sleeves instead.  To model for our kids the kind of servant's heart we desire for them.  And to do it diligently.  Year after year, day after day.  Because His promises are true.

Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.
Galatians 6:9


O how marvelous! O how wonderful!
And my song shall ever be:
O how marvelous! O how wonderful!
Is my Savior's love for me!


No comments:

Post a Comment