Home

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Nothingness

I think I'm a glass half empty kind of girl.

That's why at the end of the day when I look back I don't often say it was a 'good' day.  I think about some of the good stuff, but I usually balance it out with all the things that went wrong.

I don't like that about myself.  But I'm working on it.

But I can say with full assurance that Saturday was a good day.

It started with the hallmark of any good day:  sleeping in.

Let me tell you how lucky I have it.  The Honey gets up with Baby Yahoo just about every morning and lets me doze a little while.  This is why I married him.  He appreciates my unhealthy obsession with sleep.

But Saturday The Honey just let me keep sleeping.  My eyes did not open until 8:30am.

Awesomeness.

The rest of the day was spent doing a lot of nothing.  Like sleeping in, nothing is a key ingredient to a good day.  It is a catalyst to good memory making.  Nothing on the calendar promotes things like board games, reading books together, making cookies and other things we don't do nearly enough.  Our nothingness this particular day produced things like lunch with the FIL, making some wreaths, and The Honey taking the kids riding on the tractor.  All 1/2 dozen of us bundled up and drove the caravan of Mahindras and Dodge trucks out to the field to pick up corn.  Even Baby Yahoo helped.  I really regret not taking my camera out there with us because there were lots of good shots to be had.  But just imagine 4 adorable kids and their equally adorable parents traversing the fields in search of kerneled gold.


Then Little Middle started getting sick.  Though this is seldom thought of as part of a good day, we were able to salvage it and have some fun together.  He tried to distract himself from feeling miserable by asking me to play Trouble with him.

Beautiful even when he's sick.  




This is me getting skunked
He amazingly perks up when he wins
Baby Yahoo getting in the mix
I love that this game is the Star Wars game of Trouble.  It beautifully represents what is going on in our home these days.  Lots of Star Wars.  Lots of Trouble ;)

So of course after a healthy dose of hard work and hard play, we're all wiped out.  Which  means an early bedtime for all of us.  And for a woman that is slightly over attached to her bed, this is like icing on the cake.

Here's wishing you and your family lots of nothingness on your calendars during the upcoming year!

1 comment: