Home

Friday, December 16, 2011

Motivations

OK, I confess.  I save memory making projects that have the potential to be messy for when Baby Yahoo is not here.  That's the kind of memories I want to make.  Clean ones ;)

Today's scope of learning during school included Home Ec.  Namely candy making.  Because no decent human being needs to graduate without knowing how to make a mean chocolate pretzel. 




















And now you know how much I love you guys.  I just showed you the inside of my filthy oven.

In an attempt to be traditional in our candy making day I tend to break from tradition and allow the kids to eat candy for lunch.  Because I'm cool and can only focus on one thing at a time laid back that way.

In other news...

This year I felt a strong burden to be more intentional about teaching The Yahoos about Christmas.  So, thanks to my good friend Ann Voscamp, I was inspired to use the Jesse Tree devotionals to help get all our hearts prepared for The Word made flesh.  The Jesse Tree devotionals you say? Here's the link..  They are so great.  You'll be glad you clicked.

Just a brief FYI....I have never met Ann.  But she sends me an email just about everyday.  And that's the most adult interaction I usually have. In my Stay-At-Home-Mom Handbook they give you the liberty to define that as friendship.

Moving on...

The Honey made us a Jesse Tree to hang our ornaments on




So I've learned a lot from revisiting these stories.  How everything God has been doing since he crafted us was to prepare the world for His coming.   And that they weren't ready for Him.  We weren't ready.  Our calloused hard hearts couldn't conceive or receive that Love.  So He gave us new hearts:

And I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you. And I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh.
Ezekiel 36:26



The Lord...always providing.  Always Jehovah Jireh.  

And of course the stories are to lead us to the moment we have all been waiting for:

The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us.
John 1:14

I recently listened to a sermon by Tim Keller that helped shed light on the magnitude of this verse for me.  John used 'logos' for the word 'Word' in this verse.  Apparently 'logos' is a rich word, that can take on different forms.  But here it is used in regards to 'motive, cause, intent.'


The Word.  The Motive. Our Motive.


Do we get that?  Our whole purpose, what we were created for, what creation was created for came to us.  


I lose sight.  Most days I lose sight.  I forget my motive for doing things.  If I'm finding purpose in  being supermom...I will always fail.  In a clean home...it will get dirty again.  Always disappointment.  But He came to be my purpose.  And He never disappoints.


That is the message I want to share with my kids (and myself) this Christmas.    That from the beginning the purpose for all that has and all that will be is Jesus.  No lower thing will satisfy.  




No comments:

Post a Comment