Home

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Just Curious --How Much Gum Can A Child Eat Before They Need Medical Attention?

I wouldn't call myself a novice parent, but I have to say that I have never had cause to ponder such a scenario.  Until today.

The Yahoos got some candy for Christmas.  Being the naive cool mom that I am, I allowed the big kids to take a few of their faves to their room to enjoy whenever they felt like it. 

Most of them chose suckers and gum.  I do not understand these children at all.  Seriously, who chooses a sucker over chocolate?  Well, bad for them, good for me.  I totally stole their chocolate. ;)

Anyway, so Little Middle's favorite thing is that tape gum.  It comes dressed up like this:



Guess what?  Apparantly it is also Baby Yahoo's fave.

Since we switched up the boys rooms and put Baby in with Little Middle we have had a wee bit of a hard time keeping Baby in his bed during nap times.  He is in love with his new room, especially the bunk bed where Little Middle sits high atop to rule his castle.  But this Baby Yahoo of mine, he sure is smart.  He soon found that Little Middle had a stash of goodies in his bag on his bed.  So I put the kiddos down for a nap and left the Honey in charge of them while I frantically ran from store to store to gather supplies for the upcoming week in the blinding snow on a pathetic set of tires and almost lost my life at least 3 times ran some errands.

When I returned home I was greeted at the door with a 'Did you buy me anything?' and a 'Baby Yahoo ate all the gum in my tape dispenser!'

Um......um......okay.


Here's a fairly accurate portrayal of my reaction.  Minus the burlap sack.


I mean, did you look at that picture closely???  6 FEET OF GUM!!!

Oh man, this cannot be good.

Apparantly there is no specific medical protocal when it comes to children overdosing on gum.  Somewhere between not pooping for 37 days and blood curdling screaming from abdominal pain you are suppose to take them to the ER.  Other than that all I can do is pump this kid full of corn, popcorn, candy corn.  Basically any corn product.

So now we wait.  And pray.  And pray some more.  This should be interesting.

But these are the hard knocks us Mamas of Yahoos have to face to claim the ever coveted title of 'Experienced Mothers'

Honestly, I'd rather be a novice.

I'll keep you guys posted on Baby's, well, poop situation.  Because I know you are on the edge of your seat waiting to hear about my kid's poop.  I at least promise to not take pictures;)

1 comment: