Home

Friday, January 27, 2012

Disfigured

If I were to paint a picture of myself this week, I would look a little disfigured.

I would start by placing a big fat foot in my mouth.  Because this week that is where my foot has stayed.  Right in my mouth.

Next, I would have my stomach tied in tight, big knots.  I've had several things on my mind this week, some of which have caused me heartburn.  Most notably that Little Middle is scheduled for surgery next week.  Ugh.  It's just his tonsils, but all the 'what ifs' start plaguing me and my stomach feels like a big bowling ball. 

Then, I would put my heart right up in the middle of my throat.  For some reason I have been especially overwhelmed and thankful for all that our family has and where we are in life.  Do you ever get that way?  Most of the time I completely forget about all that I've been blessed with or I choose to complain about the things I'm NOT getting.  But this week I have been keenly aware of just how blessed our little family really is.  Namely, I have been thankful for my 4 healthy, beautiful children.  And I am very aware that in no time these Yahoos will be gone.  Grown up.....boys to men.....girl to woman.....and leave me.

Just like it is suppose to be. 

And I feel a punch in the gut.  And my heart swells up in my throat.   I have to catch my breath.  I really only have such a brief moment with them.  And I know I waste so many of those brief moments on ipads, cell phones, FB and.....blogging.


And last, I would make my head about 3 times bigger than it actually is.  My head....full of hot air and pride.  I have really been a Miss Know-It-All this week.  My apologies to The Honey anyone I offended.  I used to have lots of friends.  But as of late that number has been dwindling.  I was counting it up as having no time for friendships with this 4 kids, husband, school, home kind-of busy life.  But now I'm second guessing myself.  It might have a little to do with me.


I keep having that song 'He's still working on me' running through my head.  And then this

So I find it to be a law that when I want to do right, evil lies close at hand.  For I delight in the law of God, in my inner being,  but I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members.  Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?  Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!
Romans 7:21-25

Thank you, Jesus.  Please keep working on me.


Fave Five time.


Food
I don't care what side of the Mason Dixon line you live on, this right here is pure heaven.




Even on the toughest of weeks there is nothing that a few fried potatoes and soup beans can't cure.

Rationalizing

Little Middle informed me that he was starting to diet.  And his method just might work for me.  His plan:  He diets every other day, and particularly on days that soup beans are served;)  Also, his healthy food list is a little broader than the average dieter.  He considers pizza healthy since it falls into several different food groups.  Also, the cinnamon dessert pizza at Gatti's makes the list because it has cinnamon in it.  So the lesson here is that if you cover anything in cheese or cinnamon it is basically considered calorie free.

Beauty
As much as Pinterest is a distraction to me, it can also be an asset.  I have tried lots of the yummy food I'm finding on there.  And I'm making my house prettier.  This week I tried this






I love finding beauty in unexpected places.  I put this in our bathroom.  We definitely need some beauty there.

Learning



I ordered this book a couple of months ago off Shepherds Press. Click here to check out their site.  They have a lot of great stuff.  I've been going through this particular book with the kids during school.  It is simply laid out and straightforward.  It goes over the different characteristics of wisdom.  We're working on one a week.  What I love is that I see God working and teaching their young hearts.  I see them practicing out the characteristics.  And they are hiding the verses in their heart.  Most importantly.....it's teaching me.  Because this Mama is in need of lots of wisdom these days.

If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him
James 1:5

Quiet Time

If I could do a product endorsement of the decade it would have to be Adventures in Odyssey.


 This program has seriously provided my kids with dozens of hours of entertainment and me some quiet time.  We pop these in the car and The Yahoos' mouths are silenced for the duration of the trip.  It's glorious. 





I'm so fortunate that our library has several volumes of these that we can check out.  But after listening to all of them 1/2 dozen times we decided to invest in some of our own.  They are so so great, I can't recommend them enough!

Ok, there you have it.  Now go find you a doughnut, sprinkle some cinnamon on it, and enjoy your weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Finally, I'm catching up. It's clear to me why you've really not had as much time for all of your other friends, because you are certainly a GREAT FRIEND to all!!. It's because one friend in particular is very high maintenance and demands so much of your time that you just have no time to keep up your other friendships like you should! :)

    I need to check out that wisdom book.

    We LOVE "Odyssey" too! Y'all got us hooked in February!! You should get paid for your advertisements and referrals!

    Love you!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete