Home

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Playing Pretend

I don't know why I don't frequent the library more than I do.

Maybe it's the 30 minute drive there.

Or the fact that my library card acts more like a credit card.  Thank goodness I don't have a car payment.  I'm not sure I could afford that and paying my library fines.

But both of our local  libraries are so wonderful.  Especially the children's sections.  I love watching  the little ones play with the puppets while Ninja surrounds himself with as many books and possible.  That kid would literally prefer to be reading than anything else.  Have I told you he read all of the Narnia series this year...all of them....twice?

So I took The Yahoos and the niece to the library today.  And on the way home we popped in an Adventures in Odyssey.  As we listened I heard one of the characters talk about how it was normal that his teenage daughter was dressing and acting like her friends.  That kids her age imitate one another.

And I started thinking.

I think we might not outgrow that imitating thing.

As adults I watch as we imitate Pioneer Woman or Money Saving Mom or the fellas of Duck Dynasty.  Of course, I don't think there is anything wrong with that.  My waist line shows I've imitated Pioneer Woman one too many times.  My checkbook shows I should be imitating Money Saving Mom more.   It's good to follow the example of those that have something to teach and learn from those who have gone on before us.


But I have to confess that too many days I distract myself with imitating others over Christ.  I keep trying to live a life that has been carved out for another.  To walk a mile in someone else's Jimmy Choos when my feet are more tailored for Justin boots.  That game of pretend I play with myself only leads me down a trail of frustration and failure.  Because when I try to be something other then what is intended for me, it becomes all about me and what I can do.  My image.  My reputation.  When all along all God really wants me to do is to live a life of love to those in my circle of influence.  So that it becomes all about Him.  And what He can do in me.  His glory.  His story. 
 
 


Imitate God, therefore, in everything you do, because you are his dear children.  Live a life filled with love, following the example of Christ. He loved us and offered himself as a sacrifice for us, a pleasing aroma to God.
 
Ephesian 5:1-2
NLT
 
 
 

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment