Home

Friday, February 24, 2012

Endings

Ninja and I share a similar disdain for endings.  Especially unhappy ones.  And the ones we're not ready for.

We tried to avoid movies if we know the endings aren't pretty and tidy and with a bow on top.   Same goes with books.  I think we get too emotionally invested in the characters.  They become our friends, somehow.  An occupational hazard of homeschooling, I presume.


We don't like how anticlimactic parties and holidays are after all the food is gone and presents are unwrapped.  If we see things winding down we whip out more food or games or anything to keep the party going.

And if you've read closely you will notice that I already have heartburn over my Yahoos growing up and leaving me.

Yeah, I'm realizing I do have a problem with things coming to an end.

But then I heard this sermon by Tim Keller.  Have you heard of him?  He's a pastor in NYC.  He's great.  He's shed so much light on The Word for me over the past year.  Anyway, he was preaching on Jesus being our Alpha and Omega...our Beginning and End.   He said so many good things but the driving point that hit home with me was this:

Is Jesus the end to my means or the means to my end?

Do I use Jesus to accomplish another end that I desire or is He the ending of all that I do....is He my goal?

Sadly I confess that the I often chose the former.

What endings do I aim for? 

                                        Good kids

          good marriage

                                        safety

                          character development

All good things, mind you.  But when they are our goal they will always disappoint.

I find myself too easily satisfied. 

And too often disappointed.

When these good things are my ultimate desire I miss out on the tremendous blessing of knowing my Saviour. I settle for a surface knowledge of Him.  But the relationship that develops when we make Him our ending...our Omega....everything we strive for....far surpasses any satisfaction that those lesser things provide.

So I'm learning to embrace endings now.  Even the seemingly not-so good ones.  And the unexpected ones.  Knowing that we often find our Lord there wanting to begin a good work in us.

No comments:

Post a Comment