Home

Monday, October 17, 2011

Trivial Pursuits

As a parent, one thing I try to do is to provide several (but not all) opportunities for my kids so they can discover what their interests are. It's important to me that they explore all the beautiful things this world has to offer and find ways to serve and praise Jesus in those things.

And then I had a thought.


Why don't I do that?  Why don't I keep exploring all the possible interests that God may have blessed me with that I don't even know about?  You know, try new stuff.  Get out of the proverbial comfort zone.  So here are some things I am in the process of learning:
  1. blog writing (sure to be a slow, painful learn)
  2. changing a toilet seat (mastered it! Oooh-rah!)  I was so proud of this one that I took the time to snap a pic.  Aint' she pretty?

















         3.  cake decorating
         4.  driving a tractor

I know all of those seem pretty arbitrary, but they are things that I can fit into my daily life right now.  And let me tell you, my daily life is crazy busy lately.  But that's for another post.
 
There are other things that I REALLY want to be doing, but just can't seem to find the time (i.e. guitar lessons, sew, etc.) .  But baby steps, right?

Anyway, I was encouraged to take on these new endeavors after reading Proverbs 31.  Most of us are familiar with that passage. I often refer to it as the Stepford Wife Chapter.  ;)  But when you read it you have to admit that this lady is pretty well rounded. And I have been feeling, well, less than well rounded lately.

Pigeon holed.

Bored.

I've never been one to like a challenge.  I've learned to embrace the ease that comes with having very low expectations of yourself.  But I hate the feeling of being stuck in a rut.  And nothing unsticks a good rut like introducing something (or someone) new in your life. 

So, all in all, I'm excited!  I'm looking forward to enriching my life with the fine art of bushhogging and fondant rolling;)  I hope you'll be excited with me. And I'm hoping to use these new 'talents', if you will, for good rather than evil;)  To genuinely use them to serve Jesus and my family.

And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.   Colossians 3:17

1 comment:

  1. Here's a couple of things that came to my mind...

    1. Obviously you do like a challenge. You married David and then had 1, 2, 3, 4 children with the man!! :) If you tell Dave I said this, please follow up with I really do think he's super great, and I'm really just kidding!!

    2. You homeschool. Nuf said!!

    3. Your using your talents for good not evil comment gave me a image of you chasing someone down with a tractor. See # 1!! Ha, ha!!

    OK, so that was one more than a couple. :)

    ReplyDelete