Home

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Ninja Turns 10

This is Ninja.





And today he turns 10.





10, I say.  I can hardly get my fingers to type that.


Because the day he entered this world is still so fresh and near. It was the day I changed forever.


10 is all little boy and grown up man rolled into one.




He fences with his father and plays Daniel Boone with his brothers.




He reads grown up books like Narnia and The Hobbit and still loves being tucked in at night.

The two great loves of his life are his father and books.  In that order.



And he hates being made fun of and long division.  In that order.

This man child has grown up so much this year. 




He learned how to diagram a sentence and the date of the French and Indian War.  He learned how to hit off a pitching machine and train a dog to sit.





But he's learning other things too.  He's learning to recognize the sin that plagues us all and how to ask for forgiveness and how to create peace.  He is learning self control and selfless love. 

And he is just like who I used to be.  Because he is a worrier.  Underneath that tough exterior is a kid that is concerned about what he looks like to the world around him.  He struggles to be his own self.  And that was me. All about image.  Until that wet Alabama day in February when God did a work on my heart all through the birth of a boy.

Because through this child God changed who I was.  He showed me how desperate I was for Him.  He showed me that my worth isn't wrapped up in what others think of me.  Only in what He thinks of me.  He taught me that even though I don't have all the answers, He does.  And thankfully I don't have it all figured out.  I just have to know the One who does.

And now I have the privilege of passing down these lessons learned to this changing, growing, maturing, understanding young man.  And it is a beautiful thing.

So, Ninja, happy happy birthday.  I wouldn't want anyone else but you as my firstborn.  I am so excited to watch as you continue to grow and mature into a fine young man just like your daddy.  I am praying for you this year, every year.  Praying that the lessons you learn will not always be learned the hard way.  Praying that you continue to trust your Father for all things.  Praying that you continue to smile that beautiful smile and maintain the full throttle, no holds barred passion for life that you possess today.  I Love You! 






 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 



 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment