Home

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Ripe

Tis the season for fruit flies.

Our house has been overrun by them.  I have tried everything to get rid of those pesky things.  Trapping them in bags of bananas,   apple cider vinegar,  spraying them with alcohol.  My latest maneuver is storing every ounce of food that I own in the refridgerator.  No kidding.  Everything.  I have to say it seems to have helped.  But trying to find the jelly for my toast in the morning has left me a bit frazzled. 

 
 
I guess that is the price we have to pay to have some of the best tasting foods lining the bar of our kitchen.  Our garden has produced some beautiful canteloupe and tomatoes.  And I've been letting myself eat just as many strawberries and peaches I can get my hands on.  I love it.  When they are all fragrantly ripe and more sweet than sour and juice running down your chin. It's a beautiful, ugly mess watching me eat those lovely things.

I think I look like this





 But I actually look a little like this. 





As in most things in life, there is a price that must be paid for enjoying the 'fruits' of your labor.  And for us right now, it's those bothersome fruit flies.

I started thinking the other day as I was sinking my teeth into some of those strawberries of how well worth the wait it was to enjoy them.  I am always tempted to grab things out of my garden too early because I just cannot wait to enjoy them.  And everytime I do I am disappointed.  It isn't ripe enough.  And the taste is bitter and sour and weak.  But if I do have some self control and take my eyes off the immediate gratification, the rewards are so....well....sweet. 


It made me think of this


Blessed is the one
who does not walk in step with the wicked
or stand in the way that sinners take
or sit in the company of mockers,
 but whose delight is in the law of the Lord,
and who meditates on his law day and night.
 That person is like a tree planted by streams of water,
which yields its fruit in season
and whose leaf does not wither—
whatever they do prospers.
 Psalms 1:-3


There is nothing more beautiful to look at and to eat than a strawberry or peach or tomato that is fully ripe.  It makes all the work of hoeing and pulling weeds and diligently walking the rows in search of bugs or the wrestling in prayer for rain worth it.  And God is so faithful to grow those things to maturity in due season.  So with a little patience and work and trust I am able to be satisfied with some of God's most glorious concoctions of sugar and beauty. 

And so it is with us. 

This past week I had a birthday.  Nothing monumental.  Just a small quite birthday filled with lots of friends and family loving on me and making me smile.  I needed that this year.  Small and quite.  My life lately has been feeling a bit overwhelming and chaotic.   But as I reflected on my 34 years of living I couldn't help thinking about that word.  Ripe.  Yielding fruit in season.

Am I there yet?  Is that me?  Am I that tree planted by streams of water? 

I definitely feel that I am maturing.  My body has felt it for years.  But now my spirit seems to be catching up. 

Years ago, when faced with a season of drought, I believe I would have withered under the strain.  If the money was tight or the tension with The Honey was palpable or the whining of the Yahoos was unending I think I remember myself falling apart.  It wasn't pretty.  There is something about a grown woman throwing a fit that is, well, not so easy on the eyes.  But now I feel I have learned to tap into those streams of water that are so faithful to supply all I need during the seemingly long seasons of drought.

I don't say that to brag.  I definitely still feel withered at times.  And I FOR SURE don't feel that whatever I do prospers.  But I count it no small accomplishment that I have finally realized where the source of my growth and fruit production comes from.

 And that is what I'm after, isn't it?  Producing good fruit.

 Fruit that will endure time and tests and trials.  Fruit that my children will see and say I want what she's got.  Fruit that will be a blessing to others.  Fruit like mercy and gentleness.  Fruit like a kind word. Fruit that provides encouragement over criticism and gratefullness over greed. 

And just like my tomatoes and canteloupe the production of this fruit requires some work and patience.  But most importantly it requires trust.  Trust in the one who supplies everything I need.

My stream of Living Water.

By his divine power, God has given us everything we need for living a godly life. We have received all of this by coming to know him, the one who called us to himself by means of his marvelous glory and excellence.
2 Peter 1:3
 
 
Yes, I am thankful for that birthday present this year.  The gentle lesson that the fruit I try to produce on my own, in my own strength, will only be bitter and sour.  Like counterfeit strawberries in January.  But the fruit produced by quiet reliance on The Living Water will yield something sweet and beautiful. 
 
 


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment