Home

Friday, June 8, 2012

Green Thumbs and Other Summer Accomplishments

I hadn't realized how long it had been since I had written.  Shewwee!  This summer is flat flying bye. 

We've been busy doing this





and this





and this


 We've been having fun and making lots of memories. We still have several things to cram into the last few weeks of our summer break.  But the beauty of homeschooling is that our school board can spontaneously decide to extend summer break indefinitely so I'm not feeling too stressed that the fun has to end any time soon!

Actually, there were so many things that I wanted to do this summer that there was no way to get them all done.  Most of the personal downfalls in my life come from unrealistic expectations.  I had big plans for our summer hiatus.  Long reading lists, visiting friends, organizing the home, running some 5Ks.  OK, running 5K.   Anyway, you get the point.  But I soon realized that I just can't do it.  Or at least I just can't do it all.  So after I pulled myself up off the floor from my hissy fit, I decided to put my big girl panties on and pick a few things to do and try to do them well. 
 
So I put my library card away and picked up the grubbing hoe.  Let me just say this......I do not have a green thumb.  But, I am determined to find my way around some white half runners and peaches and cream corn.  I have so much to learn about gardens.  But I have hope that I will one day be the little old lady that is bringing you more tomatoes that you know what to do with.  In the meantime I read the Farmers Almanac, I listen to old men in straw hats, and I check weather.com far more than I used to. 

My most wonderful Pawpaw Peanut
But even if one ear of corn doesn't pop up, it has all been worth it because I  have had the best time with Little Middle by my side.  He has been my biggest helper.  He has chosen...chosen I say.....to help in the garden while the other Yahoos are out playing.  He goes and checks the status of the peppers and cucumbers every day and gets so tickled to see progress.  I love it.  I definitely know what side of the family he takes after. 








No comments:

Post a Comment