Home

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The Safe Place To Fall

This is My Safe Place To Fall




And today is his birthday.


I don't know about you, but my dad and I share a special kind of relationship.  I get to rag on him for how old he is or how many broken noses he's sustained from line drives to his face or that he tells the same stories about having walked up Grove Ridge Hill to go to school every morning.....and he gets to take it.

Yes, my dad is my Safe Place to Fall.


Like when I was in fourth grade and came home with a D in English because I had only read 3 of the 10 required readings for the year and done maybe 30 SRA's instead of 100.  And instead of the 40 hour lecture and month long grounding I deserved, he gave me a hug.

Or like when I wrecked the college van during Spring Break in Panama City and the grumpy overwhelmed police officer gave me a reckless driving ticket and my dad was only  more concerned about me and that  I was okay than the outrageous cost of the ticket.

Dad and I also share a love/hate relationship with college basketball.  We love the Wildcats.  We hate Duke.

I love my dad.  And I'm so thankful for him.

So Happy Happy Birthday, Daddy!  I sure do love you!


PS.   I would also like to extend a very very Happy Birthday to the most amazing, pretty, dopey, brilliant, goofball of a nephew this world has laid eyes on.  Today he is 15.  Which makes me feel ridiculously old.  And sad.  Because basically this kid is like my practice first born.  I'm very proud of you, kid!  I love seeing who you've become.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out. I'll be sure he sees it. He gets all of that...the brillant, the pretty, the dopey....and especially the goofball from his amazing AUNT! Thanks for being a role model for him....for loving him and encouraging him, even when mom and dad are having to be "the bad guys". It makes me feel so safe that he has you...the calm to my storm, the wisdom to my ignorance. He is blessed to be your nephew. Love, K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my girls. Bridgett and Kellie, you are the foundation of my being and I love you both so much. I am so proud of you both for just being who you are, each so different but yet the same, loving and caring people. Kathy and I both thank GOD for you what you mean to us and sharing your lifes and our precious Grandkids. Bridgett thanks again for the kind thoughts and Kathy and I will always be here for you, Kellie and the kids. As I said Kathy, you, Kellie, the kids, Gavin, Dylan and Kat are my world and I thank GOD each day for each of you. Love Dad

    ReplyDelete