Home

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Baby Turns 5

And then there's this guy.




Who turns 5 today.





I mean, have you ever?






In all of my life I have never fallen so hard and so fast for a boy.



But this boy is special.  Because he's my last.




That's how he feels that he's the last.  I know, Baby.  I know.  

I'm older and wiser.  My crows feet have sunk in and I have to color my hair every 6 weeks rather than every 3 months to cover the gray.  My abs refuse to be beat into submission and my career wardrobe is comprised of yoga pants and overly large t-shirts.  I am no longer the new mom with toddlers.  The one with the hip diaper bag or the stroller that converts into a wet bar.  I am the 'experienced' mom.  The one that continues to screw up all the time, I just have learned how to fake it better.

But no amount of experience could prepare me for the punch in the gut love I have for this child.  This Yahoo of mine.

I love the way he talks.  How he says the 'b' sound for his 'j', how he belts out 'Jesus Creep'  when we're cranking DC Talk.  I love his kisses and hugs, because they are few and far between from this rough around the edges punk.  I love his green eyes and crooked teeth.  I love kissing the scar on his chin from the stitches he endured.  Wounds received too early in life.  I love being the one to wipe away the tears and remove the splinters and brush the oatmeal out of his hair.  I love being the one to rub his back when his belly hurts.  Or the one he runs to when his heart hurts.  I love that no matter how many friends he makes and how many girls he dates, no one else gets to be his mother. I love that he weighs next to nothing.  That way I can pretend he isn't growing up so fast.

But he is growing up.  Five.  Such a milestone.  Learning to read, his first hunting trip with his daddy, learning to swim on his own.

I've held you so long, Baby.  And now you get to do things on your own.  As you pull away from the edge of the pool to tackle the deep end, I will be waiting there for you, cheering you on.  When you traverse the woods with BB gun in hand I will wait in anticipation to see the big kill you bring home.  And I will sit with you all day long as you master those complicated phonics sounds.

I will be right here.  Cheering, applauding, coaching, praying.

But on those other days.  When the waves seem too large or the words just won't come.  When you have nothing to show from your hard days work....I'll still be right here.  Cheering, applauding, coaching, praying.



Because you, Baby Yahoo, are the apple of my eye.  And I won't quit you.  Not ever.

So Happy 5th Birthday, Baby.  I pray for you that you meet the Lord all throughout this year.  As we read Bible stories together, as you explore His creation, as you hear the crickets on the cool summer nights.  I pray He meets you everywhere this exciting year takes you.






















No comments:

Post a Comment