Home

Friday, July 4, 2014

Rehab

Red Sox game.  Do we scream 'freedom'?
A few weeks ago The Honey and I got a chance to go to Boston.

Business for him, vacation for me.

We did manage to travel up a day early so we could have some time to sight see before he got busy with meetings and other top secret CIA missions.

Boston is a great city.  Lots of history, the beautiful harbor front, plenty of sports.

We took in a Red Sox game, strolled through Boston Common and along the Harbor.  We went to Harvard's campus and wondered what it would be like to be smart.

OK....I wondered what it would be like to be smart.

But most importantly we ate.  Boston has so much great food.  I am for this.  Any city that has great food is worthy of my vacation time.


And for your enjoyment.....Fenway Park singing Sweet Caroline.  The video is not great quality, mainly because of the half lit people around us.  But they sound so good, don't ya think?  We had to video it for our  Sweet Yahoo.  Which she loved.  Bless.







And I will go ahead and answer the number one question I get when we go away...
           
                                                   Are you taking the children?


Deep sigh.

What kind of vacation would it be, people, if I took the children with me?

No.  No I didn't take the children.  Hallelujah and Amen.

And it was..... fabulous.

 There, I said it.  Yes!  I enjoy being away from my kids from time to time.  And do you know what?  They enjoy being away from me.  Because they have these grandparents that have cable and poptarts and actually listen to them when they talk.  It's a win win for all of us.

But here's the thing.  After a week of pigging out on Cheetos and A.N.T. Farm, The Yahoos needed some rehab.

And for those of you reading that have little people and might be wondering if your own child needs rehab, here are some signs and symptoms of overly intoxicated children:

1.  If your child gives you a blank, blinking stare when you tell them to go do their chores, as if you are speaking another language or they have mysteriously turned into a pigeon.

2.  If the words 'whatever' or 'as if' or 'like' make up more than 77% of their lexicon.

3.  Noticeable tremors and twitching when you tell them you have no more Poptarts.

Rehab.  One week.  No TV, no iPad, no computer.

As far as the sugar goes....well....we didn't want to go too crazy.  They are children.  We chose to limit desserts to once a day.

And here's the deal.  I don't think they missed it that much.  There were a few hours of boredom, but eventually they got desperate enough to go find something to do.  Or, if they didn't and kept complaining I did find things for them to do.  Like weed the garden or rub my feet.

I wish I could tell you electronic rehab created world peace or fixed Kim Kardashian's plastic surgery addiction.  It did not.  But it was definitely quieter.  We had more conversations.  Thought provoking conversations.  Not conversations about how we can schedule our day around the Good Luck, Charlie marathon.

I tell you all this to say....Don't be afraid of The Rehab!  Tearing yourself away from Disney and even Food Network (gasp) probably won't kill you.  In fact, you might even feel like you are a little more alive.




No comments:

Post a Comment