Home

Saturday, May 11, 2013

Prodigal Mom

There's something about Mother's Day that renders me speechless.

The reminder that I have been blessed with so much.

A wonderful mother.



And wonderful others.  Other women who have held the line for me, praying and advising and encouraging along the way.

And then these guys. 


I almost have to look away.

Because I remember

When someone has been given much, much will be required in return; and when someone has been entrusted with much, even more will be required.
Luke 12:48

And most days I feel like the prodigal mom.

Sacrificing the permanent at the altar of the immediate.

Selfishly chasing empty pursuits that leave me spiritually bankrupt and emotionally exhausted.

Losing it over lost shoes and scattered Lego pieces and short words.  Because I often find myself bowing down at the altars of Clean House and Peace and Quiet.

All the while these four beauties are waiting for me to show them what this gospel truth and grace I keep talking of is all about. 

And the gospel truth is this:  He came saving sinners, even this sinner.  And more than that.  He gives life abundant.  And my abundant life is being a wife to one and a mother to these wonderful ones.

So Mother's Day, for me, is not a day where I feel I should be honored.  Quite the opposite.  Mother's Day keeps me mindful of how unworthy I am.  But thankfully my worth doesn't stop His lavish pouring of love and beauty and grace into this prodigal's life.

Alright.  Enough with the sappiness.  Somebody come take me out to eat already.....:)




No comments:

Post a Comment