Home

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Things I've learned Potty Training the Fourth Time Around

I am happy to report that Baby Yahoo has almost completely potty trained himself.

I know that all of you have been waiting with bated breath since my last post to hear of his progress.  Now, you can finally sleep again.

I have to say that this, my last potty training experience, I have learned many lessons.  Too bad it is my last time.  But I feel the need to write them in my blogosphere memoirs for the generations to come so that my posterity will have a leg up when it comes their time.

So here goes....

1.  When the first inclination strikes to begin the whole potty training process...wait six months.   I know for my first two Yahoos, and maybe with Little Middle, I always had the rule potty training should be commenced by the age of  two.  I have no idea where I came up this rule.  I probably made it up.  Or read it on a stupid blog.  This rule will be one of the many reasons Ninja and Sweet Yahoo will one day be in therapy.  One  of the many reasons, I'm sure.  But yes, by the time #3 and #4 rolled around I soon realized that this potty training by age 2 rule was to be sure not a hard and fast rule.  And for those privileged enough to have their little ones potty trained by the age of 10 months I humbly tip my hat to you and say 'You had absolutely nothing to do with it.'  Yes, I am most assured at this point that 90% of  potty training is about waiting and watching for when your youngin' is ready and then following their lead.

2.  It's all about the candy.  Now, ideally I would be using Reese's Pieces.  But seeing that Baby has that pesky peanut allergy we had to find an alternative.  A novice mother would have chosen M&M's.  Heads up new moms.  M&M's are messy.  And...addictive.  Use Smarties.  The toddler won't know the difference and you won't gain 5 lbs.

3.  Potty train during the summer or any other season conducive to nakedness outside.  This also works best when you don't have close neighbors.  Or frequent guests.  I must preface that this tactic has worked well for our family, but understand that 75% of my children are boys.  And when I realized that 100% of boys enjoy peeing on the grass, that means that we spend around 80% of our time potty training outside.  Heads up, though.  For a while the kid will have no idea which yards are off limits to peeing.  Many times I had to stop  my kids from dropping their drawers in the church's playground.

4.  As in most things in life it's the journey,  not the destination.  I am sorry to confess that with my oldest Yahoos I rushed them, rushed myself, totally missing the tender moments with them.  I got them potty trained, maybe a whole whopping 6 months earlier than Baby, but in exchange for what?  A whole lot of stress and pressure on both me and them.  I'm thankful that with age and experience I have realized that each day, each milestone is a blessing.  Little underwears and potty seats are fleeting fixtures in our home.  I'm thankful for them while they last. 



So here it is.  The moment you have all been waiting for.  The pièce de résistance.





Is this not precious?  Seriously, some of my favorite pics are of the Yahoos when they first get into underwear.  It's darling. 

I love this kid.  He has made the last leg of the potty training journey such a delight for me.

My cup runneth over!




No comments:

Post a Comment