Home

Monday, April 16, 2012

Death Traps

Well, we bought ourselves a death trap.







side note:  Ninja is already in time out for being too, um, Ninja-like.


More accurately, it was given to us.

A friend of ours has a daughter moving into a new home and there just happened to be a trampoline there that they didn't need.  And knowing that we are a bunch of suckers  parents of some active youngsters, they offered it to us.

And we said yes.

Because we are gluttons for punishment and extremely high medical bills that way.

If you know us at all....wait.  Let me rephrase.  If you know MY SONS at all you will know that we are fairly well acquainted with the Emergency Room of our local hospital.   So needless to say I am not expecting good things out of this trampoline.    We still have to invest in the padding and net that goes around it.  And some crutches, a neck brace, and possibly a wheel chair.


In other news....

Just so that you know what my life is like, Little Middle and I got into an argument on our way to church yesterday about whether his father was in fact in the CIA.  I assured him he was not.  But Little Middle asked how I would know if he was.  That he would have to keep it from me.  Again, I reassured him.  Again, he protested.  Finally, exasperated, I ended the argument by saying that I was trying to prepare my heart for worship and that he was interfering with that.

I thought the discussion was over.  Because nothing silences a kid like throwing out the whole 'prepare your heart for worship' card. 

But as soon as we got back in the car after church he started back up.  Then The Honey, always the peace maker, said that he was not in fact in the CIA....just a Ninja.  Of course our own Ninja Yahoo went berserk asking to learn all the moves.

**Complete side note.  In school this week we learned the vikings were first called 'berserkers' because of the maddening rampages they went on as they overtook a village.  Thus the phrase 'going berserk.'  Isn't etymology cool?  I'm such a nerd.**

Moving on....

So, Ninja is going BERSERK over ninjas.  The rest of the conversation spirals out of control.  Something about death...dismemberment...destruction.  I just longingly look at Sweet Yahoo way back in the back of the van through the rear view mirror.  We can both read each others' minds:  Manicure.

Yes, this child and I need a Mommy/Daughter date soon.  Complete with sappy Disney movie, chocolate, and pink nail polish.  We have been overtaken by the testosterone berserkers.  

In other completely random and uninteresting news to you, this weekend I get to go.....wait for it....ALONE.....to a home school convention.  Now, I know, it's not like I'm getting to go alone to Vegas or Cancun .  But still yet it is more than going alone to, let's say, the bathroom.  Which, I might say is a victory on most days!  So, yes, for more than 24 hours I am free of parental responsibilities.  On top of that I will be fraternizing with a bunch of other home school nerds like myself.  Watch out world!

I do have to say that this yearly weekend does give me angst.  It is the main time that I buy the curriculum we use for the upcoming school year.  I really feel a great deal of pressure about this.  Am I buying the right stuff?  Can I get everything I need and not over spend?  So as much as a weekend shopping spree sounds appealing, it really isn't all that it's cracked up to be.  Regardless, I'm excited!

Finally, baseball season is in full swing.  And my Boys of Summer are loving it.  We've been tripping over ball gloves and cleats these days.  I won't ruin it by telling the Yahoos, but baseball is my favorite past time.  There is nothing like spending the day at the ballpark.  I'm all about concession stand hot dogs and sunburns and the sounds of laughter coming from the dugout.  I just love how Ninja replays every inning to me (even though I was watching) and how Little Middle finds me every single time he catches the ball to make sure I was watching.  Be still my heart. 

Now, off to tuck in these battle scarred warriors and warriorettes.

No comments:

Post a Comment