Home

Friday, April 6, 2012

Best Laid Plans

First, an homage to our beloved Wildcats....











Please pardon the snotty nose.


We are so proud of our boys!  

The Yahoo household celebrated March Madness in the truest sense.  There were so many maddening things going on.  I've already discussed the plague that seemingly struck our home.  But we also got to enjoy watching our boys battle it out for the big trophy.  We managed to squeeze in a tonsillectomy for Little Middle, The Honey's monthly trip to DC, 3 out of 4 parents' birthdays, piano lessons, and tons and tons of doctors appointments.  And we managed to survive all that without completely falling apart! 

So as we usher in a new season and a new month it doesn't appear that the madness is going to end any time soon.  As I take a glimpse at the calendar for the next month I see lots of piano, more travel and, believe it or not, more doctors appointments.  But, knock on wood, no surgeries! 

Yes, I believe that this new month has allowed us to catch our breath a little.  The Yahoos' little bodies are on the mend just in time for allergy season.:)  It's so good to see them running and playing and arguing again.  I still can't make sense of the craziness that was the last few months.  But I'm trying not to live back then.  I'm trying hard to appreciate the grace that has been given to us this day.  I'm sure there are lessons to be learned from the hard times we go through.  God is sovereign, not senseless.  So I'm sure the lessons to be learned will come to me.  In due time.

Several of my friends and I have been going through a similar season in life.  The season of "I don't ever seem to get my way."  I have to admit, it's not my favorite season.   For instance, yesterday the plan was that The Honey was to be gone all evening running errands.    For all you work-at-home mamas I don't know if this happens to you, but when the news comes that The Honey isn't going to come home to rescue me spend quality time with the kids, I go into hysterics am disappointed.   But yesterday I had a game plan.  We were already going to be going to piano, so I thought we would make a day of it.  I would grin and bare it as I kept Baby up through nap time, take them to Nana's and Grannie's for a goat-feeding, four wheeler-riding, mud puddle-jumping, pop-drinking, cable tv- watching afternoon. 

Fun for them.  Work for me.

But it would pay off in the end because Baby would crash by 7:30 and I could get some good bonding time in with the Big Yahoos by cuddling up in bed and reading to them.   

Fail.

By 5:00 The Honey had texted me that he couldn't run those errands and he would have to do it the next night.  The next night....when I have absolutely nothing to do to occupy our time.  Not tonight....after running these kids ragged and getting them good and exhausted.  And for nothing.

Argh!

But isn't this how our best laid plans often work?

The heart of man plans his way, but the LORD establishes his steps.
Proverbs 16:9

Sometimes something better is waiting for us.

You see, nothing stirs in me a desire for good planning and inspiration like 15 straight hours alone with 4 Yahoos.  So when I found out that today we would be home alone...all day....alone....I started thinking.  

And you know what?  

The Lord inspired.

I got to share the gospel through Resurrection  Eggs.



And take in some beauty.



I got to laugh  and listen.  I got to push kids in swings and read them books.  I got to tickle toes and kiss cheeks.   All those things I missed last month. 

The month of March Madness.

I've thought a lot about Jesus' disciples today.  How today wasn't much of a Good Friday for them.  How their best laid plans had obviously come to a terrible end. 

But something better was waiting for them.

Waiting for us all. 

All we like sheep have gone astray;
    we have turned—every one—to his own way;
and the Lord has laid on him
    the iniquity of us all.
Isaiah 53:6 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment