Home

Thursday, February 4, 2016

The First Thirteen

I've heard all about you, 13.  I've heard the stories about your eye rolls and mood swings and strange body changes.  I know you probably love the idea that lots of adults are scared of you.

But here's the thing.  I ain't scared of you, 13.  In fact, I'm already a little in love.



Because I see what you're doing, 13.  I see how you put up this edgy exterior to guard your tender heart.  I know your biggest fear is being exposed to those around you.  That someone might find you out. That they'll see your awkwardness and insecurities.   I know you just want to feel normal.

But I'm sorry to tell you, 13, you'll never be normal to me.  Nope.  Far from it.  Because in my eyes you are a work of art.  

You have an extraordinary mind. Extraordinary gifts.  And that laugh you laugh lights up my life. No, my son, there will never be anything normal about you.

So bring it, 13.  Bring the witty banter and voice changes and middle school humor.  Bring the growing pains and your bizarre friends with their bottomless pits

I'm so ready for you.  Because the secret is, 13, I need you.  Nothing makes me a better 37 year old than you in my life. Challenging me.  Sharpening my rough edges.  Helping my accept my own awkwardness and insecurities.  

I love you, 13.  May all your days be extraordinary.  









1 comment: